Metaclass with name overloading.

Alex Martelli aleaxit at
Wed Sep 29 08:41:44 CEST 2004

Bengt Richter <bokr at> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:37:31 +0200, aleaxit at (Alex Martelli) wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >At this point, your templating is not declarative -- it's imperative.
> >Like everything in Python, btw -- not ONE 'declarative' in sight (except
> >the 'global' statement, which is part of what makes it a wart;-).
> Hm ;-) Is a module source a declaration of (imperative) intent, passive
until imported?

Every piece of code is 'passive unless executed', but that doesn't mean
every language is declarative.

> ISTM we are getting into shades of semantics. Interesting though ;-)

Not all that much (to me), since redefining a word so that it applies to
every possible language is basically robbing that word of any meaning.

> For a language that plays well both ways, I would try scheme or lisp, I think.

Hard to argue with this (or Dylan for syntax-sugar reasons, maybe).  One
alternative might be to explore pure functional languages, which can be
seeing as remapping imperativeness into declarativeness.