PocketPc Installer

Freeman Ng fng at OrthancSoftware.com
Mon Sep 13 14:49:18 EDT 2004

> when people write apps for handhelds (specifically Win CE handhelds) what
do you use for installers

As a Python newbie, I'm thrilled to come across a question I can answer!

I create my CE installers using cabwiz, which comes with the freely
downloadable eMbedded Visual C++ package, but which can install any kind of
file, including binaries not created by msft tools. The general procedure is
to create an .inf file defining which files get installed where and what
registry settings to set up, run cabwiz to create the .cab file, create an
.ini file pointing to the .cab file, then write a simple Windows app that
will find CEAppMgr.exe through the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
Paths\CEAppMgr.exe and launch it, passing it the .ini file on the command
line.

You can easily google up sample .inf and .ini files or documentation for
them, or find this stuff on the msft site.

Freeman