python ides

Vincent Foley vfoley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 14:34:26 EDT 2004

I wonder why no one has yet made a Smalltalk-like IDE for Python (or
other languages for that matter.)  I mean, I've been using Smalltalk
for a few months now and I have to say that the whole environment
truly kicks anything else in the balls twice with steel-plated boots.
The Refactoring Browser makes it easy and fast to write code and
refactor it, you can search method implementors and senders, you have
a very advanced debugger, etc.  Why not take the time and make
something like this for Python (or port Python to either Squeak or
VisualWorks)?