OT: regex to find email

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 22 02:59:08 EDT 2004

Jorgen Grahn wrote:

> I've seen no references to RFC 2822 in this thread ... please note that what
> all these regexes catch is unlikely to be exactly the set of all valid RFC
> 2822 addresses.

the perl faq is also required reading:

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfaq9.html#How-do-I-check-a-valid-mail-address-

    Q. How do I check a valid mail address?

    A. You can't, at least, not in real time. Bummer, eh?

    Without sending mail to the address and seeing whether there's a human
    on the other hand to answer you, you cannot determine whether a mail
    address is valid.

what morally sound reasons are there to scrape mail addresses from text
documents, btw?

</F>