Ranting about the state of Python IDEs for Windows

G. S. Hayes sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 12:01:18 EDT 2004

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at yksi.ifi.uio.no> wrote in message news:<1r3c1k547v.fsf at rovereto.ifi.uio.no>...
> [Carlos Ribeiro]:
> >   It's useful, but it misses one feature of my wish
> >   list: persistence, or the ability to restart working exactly when
> >   I left things some time later.
>
> this might be nice, but is it really worthwhile?  I only restart my
> session a couple a times per year, and I'm not sure it is a good idea
> to recreate the clutter of windows when I log back in.  sometimes
> going back to a clean slate is healthy.  most of the applications I
> use _do_ have session support, but I haven't enabled it.

Session management rocks.

I use it frequently, as I use the same machine for development and
live music visualization stuff at parties.  It's quite nice to be able
to save the dev session, drag the machine down to a party, set it up
to show the pretty pictures on the big-screen TV, then restart my dev
session when the party's over.

It's especially nice that if a bug shows up during the party I can
start the same dev session that I use normally under the kernel I use
for parties, fix the bug quickly, and get things showing again.