Python Webstart ?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 20 12:18:53 EDT 2004

Roger Binns wrote:
> I object to different packaging systems than my OS uses.  When I use
> Windows I expect programs to arrive as setup.exe, to add themselves
> to the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel etc. ...

You probably use more programs than those on your desktop.
You can think of Google, Yahoo, eBay, etc. as web-based
applications for their specific tasks.  These differ from
your OS in that they have no local installation.  You go
to the right URL and start using it.

They also differ in that they have limited access to local
resources.  I believe WebStart's goal is to expand on the
latter while acting like the former.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com