Xah Lee's Unixism

jmfbahciv at aol.com jmfbahciv at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 05:29:08 EDT 2004

In article <OJudnTfixegZJKfcRVn-gA at speakeasy.net>,
   rpw3 at rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
>Paul Repacholi  <prep at prep.synonet.com> wrote:
>+---------------
>| jmfbahciv at aol.com writes:
>| > huh..The why did I have to do TTY:_DT0:/L or LPT:_DT0:/L to get
>| > directories?  And to print a file on the line printer required the
>| > PIP command LPT:_DSK:FOO.FOR
>|
>| My bad... I claim bit rot of the grey stuff...
>| Yes DIR and friends came later, post or part of(?) COMPIL.
>+---------------
>
>Yes, but... Wasn't COMPIL (at least a simple for of it) introduced
>before or sometime during 4S72? We didn't switch from 4.x to 5.x until
>5.02d (or so) IIRC, and I *thought* we used COMPIL earlier than that.
>[But brain rot gets us all in the end...]

There was a program COMPIL but you had to say

R COMPIL
FOO.REL_FOO.FOR

(The typo routine in my head just told me I goofed but I don't see it.)

but couldn't say

COMPIL FOO.FOR

I think (and only John Everett can say for sure) that what we
called compile-class commands came with the 5-series monitor.
I wasn't working for DEC then and had no idea about development
evolutions of code and features.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.