It's in Python. It just _works_!

Grant Edwards grante at
Fri Sep 3 04:24:23 CEST 2004

On 2004-09-03, Tim Peters <tim.peters at> wrote:
> [Grant Edwards]
>> Apparently, the file descriptor you get from a socket object
>> under Win32 can't be used with and os.write()?  I
>> couldn't find anywhere in the docs that said so, but I sure
>> couldn't get it to work.  At least not under WinMe.
> Socket handles and file descriptors are disjoint concepts in Windows
> (any flavor), and aren't interchangeable in any context.

I think I knew that at one time.  IIRC, Windows was so far
behind the curve when it came to networking that TCP/IP was
implimented by the third-party "WinSock" library duct-taped
onto the side of Windows.  Surely MS must have added real
networking support to the OS itself eventually?

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Jesuit priests are
                                  at               DATING CAREER DIPLOMATS!!