MD5 and SHA cracked/broken...

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Sep 13 14:17:34 CEST 2004

Kirk Job-Sluder <kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net> writes:

> On 2004-09-11, Magnus Lie Hetland <mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
> > Basically, at Crypto 2004 preliminary papers were presented that
> > pointed out weaknesses in MD5, SHA-0 and SHA-1. As far as I can tell,
> > MD5 is broken and SHA-1 seems to be in a precarious position (even
> > though I don't know the details at all).
>
> It is always good to read carefully.
>
> An algorithm has been published that makes it easier than it should be
> to find collisions in MD5.

Has the algorithm been published?  AFAIK (which could be out of date;
why I'm asking) all that's been published is a paper which essentially
says "here's two distinct byte sequences that md5 the same".

Cheers,
mwh

--
  how am I expected to quit smoking if I have to deal with NT
  every day                                                -- Ben Raia