Name of IDLE on Linux

Joal Heagney joal at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 2 22:46:36 EST 2005

Edward Diener wrote:
> Thomas Rast wrote:
>
>>Edward Diener <eldiener_no_spam_here at earthlink.net> writes:
>>

>>>It is a pity the Python Linux binary installations do not
>>>create folders on the desktop or in the Gnome menu system with links
>>>to the Python to the documentation and a readme telling me what
>>>executables were installed.
>>
>>Imagine they did, and the other 1392 packages (on my system) too :-)
>

> I can understand that <g>. But I would rather have links somewhere than not
> know what it was a particular package does and how to use it. As a relative
> Linux newbie, I have found it disconcerting to have things installed on my
> system when I first booted the system or when I install new packages or
> upgrade existing ones, and not know what these packages are used for. One
> can always delete links, and they are cheap, so I would rather have too much
> to begin with than too little.
>

>>Documentation usually resides in /usr/share/doc/<package>,
>>/usr/share/doc/packages/<package> or similiar.  You're on an RPM-based
>>system, so
>>
>>$ rpm -ql <package>
>>
>>lists all files belonging to that package.  You should have little
>>trouble spotting the documentation files there.
>

> Thanks. That does help.

As a "relative linux newbie" (Aren't we all? I've been using linux for 7
years now, and the only thing that has happened is that my definition of
"newbie" has stretched.), you might find the following useful.

If you're using KDE, you can set a bookmark in konqueror to the
documentation and it'll bring it up in the bookmark toolbar. Only hassle
is when you update python and the docs, you have to edit the bookmark.

Another approach is to type in /usr/share/doc/py into the konqueror URL
and it'll pop up a list of folders containing python documentation.

Joal

PS: DON'T add a general bookmark to /usr/share/doc
I did that when I was beginning, and every time I went document hunting,
I'd have to wait a good minute and a half for konqueror to display all
the folders in this directory.