(no subject)

Fri Apr 15 11:55:02 EDT 2005

#! rnews 2153
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
From: Harry George <harry.g.george at boeing.com>
Subject: Re: Python's use in RAD
Sender: hgg9140 at cola2.ca.boeing.com
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:33:58 GMT

"Ross Cowie" <ross1cowie at hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am currenly a second year university student and was wondering if
> you could help me ut. As part of a project i have decided to write
> about python, i am not having very much luck with regards to finding
> infrmation on pythons use in Rapid Application Development, and was
> wondering of you could highlight some of the features that make it
> suitable for RAD. Like the use of dinamic binding.
>
> Your healp would be appreciated.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> Ross

Generally we don't do homework here.   But we can give you pointers.

1. Searching google for "python RAD" shows 148,000 hits, and at least
   the first few pages look relevant.  Did you check?

2. "RAD" means different things to different people.   Do you mean:
a) Agile/Extreme Programming (2 or more people working together)
b) Test-driven
c) GUI builder
d) Rapid edit-run cycle
e) Lots of libraries so your work is just hooking together existing tools
f) Dynamic, code-generated-on-the-fly, or other meta programming
g) Project management experience in life cycle flow times and labor costs

You need to understand your assignment in these terms, then you can
investigate Python.

3. As a practical matter, Python does "a"-"g" quite well.  Originally
this was because of the rich-yet-clean syntax and batteries-included
libraries.  These days those factors still count, but they are
enhanced by large numbers of "other" libraries and tools which have
Python bindings.

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 294-4718