(Python newbie) Using XP-SP2/MSVC6: No Python24_d.lib, winzip barfs on Python-2.4.1.tar, cannot download bzip2

Bill Davy Bill at SynectixLtd.com
Wed Apr 20 07:13:44 EDT 2005

Thanks Jaime,

I'm making gradual progress and am finding it quite satisfying.  Resorted to
tracing Python in MSVC6 to see what it was trying to IMPORT, which is a bit
heavy but thank heavens for the sources.

Had not thouight of "adapting" SWIG, and will think about it when I have a
clearer view of what I am doing (rather deeply embedded at present, trying
to get one success).  I had not spotted SWIG's wrapper round a wrapper
(Module.py imports _Module.pyd) but it's reasonable except they go into
different directories.  And there's the _d too, of course :-(

Many thanks for your help,

    Bill

"Jaime Wyant" <programmer.py at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2108.1113922028.1799.python-list at python.org...
I fight the python24_d.lib problem with swig daily.  The way I got
around it was to modify swig's python configuration module.  Mine was
located at

/lib/swig1.3/python/python.swg

(I'm using cygwin)

At the top, I changed

#include "python.h"

#ifdef _DEBUG
  #undef _DEBUG
  #include "python.h"
  #define _DEBUG
#else
  #include "python.h"
#endif

Somewhere in the includes, python uses a pragma telling the MSVC
compiler which library to link the object files against.  Because
you're building a _DEBUG build, you magically get the python24_d.lib
library.

hth,
jw