Best editor?

Mike L.G. me at nowhere.invalid
Wed Apr 6 00:52:50 EDT 2005

"ChinStrap" <caneff at gmail.com> writes:

> Opinions on what the best is? Or reading I could get to maybe sway me
> to Emacs (which has the major advantage of being on everyone's system).

When I first started using emacs, progress
was slow, but through my persistence, I was
able to harness the power of a very powerful
editor.  I find that with emacs I rarely
touch the mouse when editing code.

I just love the idea of splitting emacs into
multiple windows, one with my current
projects source code, another one with
py-shell loaded up (which makes for a
wonderful interactive python session with all
of your emacs key bindings), a third window
with GNUS (emacs news-reader) and lastly
chatting in a 4th window with ERC, an emacs
IRC chat client.  Doing all these activities
from within one editor just gives one an
enormous sense of satisfaction.  A one stop
shop editing tool-box at your disposal.

For me, maximum comfort working within emacs
included swapping the CTRL key with the CAPS
lock key.  It's just so much more comfortable on
the pinky finger!  In windows this meant
changing a registry key and on linux, altering
a keymap config. file.

Emacs may seem awkward at first, but the
payoff was amazing for me.  This is
comparable to my first experiences with
python.  Now, one of my greatest joys is
writing python code using emacs.

--

Mike L.G.
http://www.mahalosoft.com