Best editor?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Apr 6 09:59:20 EDT 2005

[Mike L.G.]

> Emacs may seem awkward at first, but the payoff was amazing for me.

Same here.  A good editor may tremendously increase your productivity.
However, nowadays, good editors abound, to the point that people are
not so astonished by them.  I've been around for many years, and a
good while ago, people were not stumbling on good editors as they do
nowadays.  At that time, something like Emacs was quite a breakthrough.

I guess that Python is extraordinary wonderful, or not that much,
depending on your background.  Younger people are exposed to many good
languages, so they all seem more natural to them.  If I compare Python
to FORTRAN, COBOL or Assembler, the change is impressive.  If I only
could have had something like Python when I started, years ago, and
considering all the work invested, where would I be today! :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca