database in python ?

Andy Dustman farcepest at
Fri Apr 15 00:46:16 CEST 2005

Mage wrote:
> Andy Dustman wrote:
> >
> >Transactions available since 3.23.17 (June 2000)
> >

> Transactions only supported on slow database types like innodb.
> If you ever tried it you cannot say that mysql supports transactions.
> Last time when I tried mysql 4.x did explicit commit if you simply
> disconnected inside a transaction block. It was a year ago, but I
> never forget it.

You know that the default server setting has autocommit on, right?

> >>foreign keys,
> >>

> >Foreign keys available since 3.23.44 (Oct 2001)
> >

> They are syntactically accepted but not forced.

    Message: Cannot add foreign key constraint

  # Error: 1216 SQLSTATE: 23000 (ER_NO_REFERENCED_ROW)
    Message: Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint

  # Error: 1217 SQLSTATE: 23000 (ER_ROW_IS_REFERENCED)
    Message: Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key

Foreign keys work. Prior to 3.23, it was just syntactical support. But
that was 5 years ago.

> I have seen real benchmarks. MySQL 5 is slower than postgresql and
> also slower than firebird if you do some real work.

So use the database that works best for your application. MySQL is not
a panacea, but there are a lot of applications it works well for.