compare two voices

Qiangning Hong hongqn at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 23:00:57 EDT 2005

I want to make an app to help students study foreign language.  I want
the following function in it:

The student reads a piece of text to the microphone. The software
records it and compares it to the wave-file pre-recorded by the
teacher, and gives out a score to indicate the similarity between them.

This function will help the students pronounce properly, I think.

Is there an existing library (C or Python) to do this?  Or if someone
can guide me to a ready-to-implement algorithm?