zlib and zipfile module in Python2.4

Bill Anderson bill at noreboots.com
Tue Apr 12 05:25:48 EDT 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:38:37 -0400, Alan Toppen wrote:

> I was unable to use the ZipFile class in the zipfile module in
> Python2.4. I got an error that zlib could not be found. Comparing my
> Python 2.2 installation I noticed Python 2.4 was missing a certain file:
> /usr/lib/python2.2/lib-dynload/zlibmodule.so. Unable to find a more
> elegant solution, I copied the file from my Python 2.2 directory into my
> Python 2.4 directory. When running my Python script it gives a warning:
>
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/zipfile.py:7: RuntimeWarning: Python C API
> version mismatch for module zlib: This Python has C API version 1012,
> module zlib has version 1011.
>   import zlib # We may need its compression method
>
> But it works. Python 2.2 and 2.3 handle zipfiles out of the box. Could a
> file have been omitted from Python 2.4 by accident?

If you built it you should check for the zlib development headers. If they
are not, zlib will not be built.

I recently had this issue and discovered that if zlib headers are not
there, python still builds gzip ... which imports zlib. Seems to me that
since zlib apparently depends on gzip, gzip should only be built if zlib
is.

Cheers,
Bill