Real ython Poetry [was: Re: boring the reader to death...]

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 4 16:35:50 EDT 2005

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Sunnan wrote:
>
>> ...Because what is "boring"? The opposite of dense, tense, intense.
>> Utterly predictable; it's like the combination of all my prejudices.
>> Even before I knew, I thought "Bet Python separates statements from
>> expressions".
>

> Python is for terse, pithy prose; Python is not for poetry.
>
> --Scott David Daniels
> Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org

I though that too, until Michael Spencer sent me the following
executable Python limerick, which I declared the PyCon limerick
competition and read as a part of my closing address:

# Freely re-distributable under Poetic License*
# Voice only the alphanumeric tokens

from itertools import repeat
for feet in [3,3,2,2,3]:
     print " ".join("DA-DA-DUM"
     for dummy in [None]
for foot in repeat("metric", feet))

*thanks to Peter Hansen

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/