How To Do It Faster?!?

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Fri Apr 1 18:38:18 EST 2005

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 01:00:34 +0200, andrea_gavana wrote:

> Hello Jeremy & NG,
> I hope to have been clearer this time...
>
> I really welcome all your suggestions.

Yes, clearer, though I still don't know what you're *doing* with that data :-)

Here's an idea to sort of come at the problem from a different angle. Can
you run something on the file server itself, and use RPC to access it?

The reason I mention this is a lot of UNIXes have an API to detect file
changes live; for instance, google "python fam". It would be easy to hook
something up to scan the files at startup and maintain your totals live,
and then use one of the many extremely easy Python RPC mechanisms to
request the data as the user wants it, which would most likely come back
at network speeds (fast).

This would be orders of magnitude faster, and no scanning system could
compete with it.