Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 12 20:21:11 EDT 2005

[Nemesis]
> OK, so the python installer _does_ ship this dll. So also the
> win installer has the redistribution problem, or does they
> pay for redistributing msvcr71.dll?

If you have a legal copy of one of the commercial MS compilers that includes
msvcr71.dll, you get the right to redistribute it.  Many of the python-dev
people have one of these, so one of their copies is being distributed
(exactly whose copy is academic, really).  The redistribution is subject to
various conditions, including getting the user to agree to a certain form of
EULA, which the 2.4 and 2.4.1 .msi installers do not do, so they breach the
EULA, yes.  All of this is pretty clear in the EULA, and has been said
before, here and on python-dev.

If anyone wanted to help out, and lessen the incredibly remote chance that
MS will take legal action against the 2.4 distribution, then I'm sure that
MvL would be happy to accept patches for the .msi so that an appropriate
"click-through" EULA was part of the installation.

=Tony.Meyer