smtplib does not send to all recipients

dccarson at gmail.com dccarson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:08:00 EDT 2005

OK, I've discovered the lost messages, but I'm still slightly confused
as to why they ended up there.  The messages were being delivered to
the local machine, box1.domain.com, even though I was addressing them
to <user>@domain.com.

My past experience with smtp mail has been that if I addressed the
domain explicitly, the mail would not stop at the local machine.  This
is in fact why the 'mail' utility is working.  If I use 'mail' to mail
something to <user> with no domain, it goes to the local machine, as I
would expect, but addressed to <user>@domain.com, it goes to the
corporate server.

So why does smtplib deliver to box1.domain.com?  If the local smtp at
box1.domain.com is configured such that this is correct behavior, I
guess I'd expect the 'mail' utility to do the same thing when handling
address <user>@domain.com.

By the way, the long vs. short usernames was a red herring.  Those with
.forward files were getting their mail.