Python licence again

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Apr 24 08:03:15 EDT 2005

Will McGugan <news at NOwillmcguganSPAM.com> writes:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> > John J. Lee wrote:
> >
> >> I will never pronounce thorough 'thurrow', though.  One must draw a
> >> line.
> > How *do* you pronounce it?  "Thurrow" seems to match
> > how I say the word, along with everyone else I've
> > ever met (until now?).
>
> I would pronounce it like 'thurra', since I'm Scottish.

Me too (England).

> It always
> makes me cringe when Americans pronounce 'Edinburgh' as 'edin-burrow'
> rather then 'edin-burra'.

Edin-br.  (There's a short vowel (a "schwa"?) on the end there that I
missed off because there's no unambigous ASCII symbol for it... But
it's the same vowel a child uses - at least in England! - to say "r"
when running through the alphabet, before they've learned the names
(ay bee cee dee) for the letters.)

John