Simple Python + Tk text editor

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Thu Apr 14 01:41:26 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Jonathan Fine <jfine at pytex.org> writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a simple Python + Tk text editor.
>>
>>I want it as a building block/starting point.
>

> Something wrong with IDLE?

Thanks for this suggestion.

For some reason, I did not think of IDLE as an editor.
Must have been a blind spot.

Though not simple, IDLE is a good starting point for me.

And for my project (integration of Python and TeX) there
is most unlikely to be a better one.

However, learning IDLE details might be quite a detour
from my immediate goals.

Some code follows, in case anyone else is interested.

IDLE is not yet a package, it seems.  But the idea is there.
===
jfine at apricot:/usr/lib/idle-python2.1$ cat __init__.py
# Dummy file to make this a potential package.
===

/usr/bin/idle hacked to produce an EditorWindow.
===
#! /usr/bin/python

import os
import sys
sys.path[:0] = ['/usr/lib/idle-python2.1']
import IdleConf

idle_dir = os.path.dirname(IdleConf.__file__)
IdleConf.load(idle_dir)

# new code
import Tkinter
import EditorWindow

root = Tkinter.Tk()

EditorWindow.EditorWindow(root=root)
EditorWindow.mainloop()
sys.exit()
# end of new code

# defer importing Pyshell until IdleConf is loaded
import PyShell
PyShell.main()
===

--