System bell

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 1 02:06:07 EST 2005

Trent Mick wrote:
> [Baza wrote]
>
>>Am I right in thinking that >>>print "\a" should sound the system, 'bell'?
>

> It works on the shell on Windows for me (WinXP).
>
> Trent

Interesting. From a Cygwin bash shell I got an elegant little dingish
sort of a beep (my volume control was set kind of low). I then ran the
same code in a Windows shell and nearly deafened myself. It appears that
the volume control doesn't affect the Windows XP commans shell beep -
even muting the Windows audio output doesn't stop it (though it does
stop the Cygwin beep). This could cause heart attacks!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/