Programming Language for Systems Administrator

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud peufeu at free.fr
Tue Apr 12 13:51:19 EDT 2005

> Thank You for your suggestions....I request you all to eloborate the
> Uses(In Practical) for systems administrator.Some of my questions
> regarding the same follows.

	What do you want to do ?

> 1)Can i build web applications in Python ? If so how. I am planning to
> build a web application for intranet use which deals with workflow of
> Internal office communication.

	Sure, you could use mod_python+apache2 or Zope, Skunkweb... there's a lot
of options depending on what you need. I find it better than PHP because
it'll raise exceptions when you do something funky. PHP's way of ignoring
missing keys in arrays or silent type conversions is a double ended sword
and can simplify code as well as giving hard to trace bugs.

> 2)Which is best opensource database to be used with Python ?

	I like postgresql a lot, and the psycopg adapter for python is great.

> 3)When i write a remote execution script in python is it required that
> python should be installed in remote system.

	Yes.

> 4)I heard about Perl/CGI and that CGI application done by python
> too.....Is CGI still valid when PHP has taken over the WebApplication
> Development, Dominating.

	CGI will be slow as it spawns an interpreter for each request. See
mod_python.