Python 2.4 killing commercial Windows Python development ?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Apr 13 08:53:04 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> The last I recall reading in this forum was that the regular
> distribution is compiled with a copy of the compiler
> *provided by* Microsoft.

On re-reading, I see this might not be clear enough.

By 'provided by' I meant *donated by*, as in given
free (apparently) to the PSF or at least to one of
the core developers for the purpose of compiling
Python itself.  Given the nature of Python, one
might see this as an implicit comment about the
status of the two key DLL files in question and
how concerned Microsoft is (or is not) about their
possible widespread distribution in software whose
authors didn't directly pay MS for the compiler.

A Google search might reveal the message in which
I read that, posted a few months ago I believe.

-Peter