web authoring tools

Brandon J. Van Every mylastnameruntogether at mycompanyname.com
Mon Apr 11 01:14:47 EDT 2005

As is easily noticed, my website sucks.  Enough people keep ragging
on me about it, that maybe I'll up and do something about it.  However,
I currently have FrontPage 2000 and I hate it.  Ideally, I would like an
open source website + html design tool implemented in Python, so
that possibly someday I can fix whatever's broken about it.  That said,
I would like a tool that actually saves me work as a web designer.  I
don't feel that FrontPage 2000 does this.  I'm saying there's a certain
level of maturity that has to exist in the app, it can't be some "alpha
quality" thing.  If you know of such a beast in Python, please
let me know.

Here are some examples of reasonable website designs for my purposes as
a game developer or consultant:

http://www.igda.org/seattle/
http://www.cyphondesign.com/
http://www.alphageeksinc.com/
http://www.gamasutra.com

The first 3 sites "breathe well," they aren't cluttered.  Gamasutra is a
little cluttered, but has good aesthetics.  Also when I write articles
for other people's consumption, this is the standard I'd measure them
by.

I'm not sure if I want a blogging capability, or something more like
Gamasutra.  That's a quality vs. quantity issue.  I don't know if I want
a web forum.  I generally don't like web forums and I've tended to let
Yahoo! Groups do the mailing list job.

I believe my webhost can take either Unix or Windows stuff.  My local
machine where I do all development is Windows.  I'd be interested to
know about Linux solutions too though.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur