Regular expression to match a #

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu Aug 11 11:46:40 EDT 2005

John Machin wrote:

>> Alternatively for C style #includes search for r'^\s*#\s*include\b'.
>
> Search for r'^something' can never be better/faster than match for
> r'something', and with a dopey implementation of search [which
> Python's re is NOT] it could be much worse. So please don't tell
> newbies to search for r'^something'.

Search for r'^something' is always better than searching for r'something'
when the spec requires the search to match only at the start of a line (on
the principle that code that works is better than code which doesn't).

It appears that this may be something the original poster wanted, so I
stand by my suggestion.