formal math ?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Aug 28 00:20:27 EDT 2005

mehdi.rabah at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just discovered python and it seems so easy ans so powerful to
> me that it remind me matlab or maple programming language (sorry free
> software purists ears).
>
> So I was wondering if there a sort of formal math library, that can do
> a thing like:
>
> lib.solve("x+1=0")
> -> x=-1

There are some old ones laying about in various states of usefulness.
Nothing really full-featured, though.

http://www.tildesoft.com/Pythonica.html
http://cens.ioc.ee/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/python/ginac/

It's easier to integrate with a full-featured CAS than it is to write
one yourself.

http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/index.xhtml.en
http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/585/

> I have checked numarray and I think it can not do this.

No, it cannot.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu