Emacs skeletons

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Thu Aug 4 05:00:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:08:25 +0200, Caleb Hattingh <caleb1 at telkomsa.net> wrote:
>> Since you are on this topic, do you (or anyone else) have any type of
>> "code-completion" mode for python in emacs?
>>
>> Thanks
>> -george
>
> For what its worth, Vim has a generic type of "code-completion" that uses
> the file being edited to check for completion options within a word.  It's
> not true completion (using valid completions for class hierarchies, a la
> Delphi/VB), but I get a lot of mileage out of it with my python coding.
>
> I fully expect Emacs has something similar, though I can't tell you how (I
> hardly know emacs at all).

It's dabbrev-expand, bound to C-TAB by default. I wouldn't dream of typing
any kind of text (source code or otherwise) into an editor without this
feature. It saves a lot of time, typos and wrist pain.

So, it's not surprising that both vim and emacs has it.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!