pywin32 from network install

Neil Benn benn at cenix-bioscience.com
Fri Aug 12 07:32:20 EDT 2005

agostino.russo at gmail.com wrote:

>I managed to make pywin32 work from a network installation (not really
>hard work: a shared folder + copying some dlls + setting PYTHONPATH).
>PythonWin amd COM seem to be working fine from the network install, BUT
>when I need to pass PyTime to a COM object expecting a Date I get the
>following error:
>
>Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 251, in
>_ApplyTypes_
>    result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType,
>argTypes) + args)
>TypeError: Objects of type 'time' can not be converted to a COM VARIANT
>
>Note 1: The same code works when using the local installation of
>python/pywin, it only happens when executing the code from a network
>"installation".
>
>Note 2: As mentioned other COM components seem to be working when
>running them via pywin from the network install
>
>Note 3: I am passing pywintipes.Time(datetime.datetime.today()) to a
>COM object method which expects a Date argument.
>
>Do I need to change some environment variable/registry settings/other
>hack to fix this?

Simply moving the win32 install and setting the python path isn't all
you need to do to get a network install working.  In addition, you need
to remove the win32 from your local install (or piss around with
sys.path to strip out those local references) as that will automatically
be included.  In addition, there is a registry setting you need to
delete which automagically adds to the python path - it's in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

    That's probably won't solve your problem but it's somethng to be
aware of anyways.

Neil

--

Neil Benn