Urgent: Embedding Python problems - advice sought

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Aug 17 12:23:38 EDT 2005

adsheehan at eircom.net writes:

> Hi,
>

> I am embedding Python into a multi-threaded C++ application running on
> Solaris and need urgent clarification on the embedding architecture and
> its correct usage (as I am experience weird behaviors).

What version of Python are you using?

> Can anyone clarify:
>

> - if Python correctly supports multiple sub-interpreters
> (Py_NewInterpreter) ?

It's supposed to but it's not often used or tested and can get a bit
flaky.

> - if Python correctly supports multiple thread states per
> sub-interpreter (PyThreadState_New) ?

There are bugs in 2.3.5 and 2.4.1 in this area (they are fixed in CVS
-- I hope -- and will be in 2.4.2).

> and the "real" question:
>

> - what is the rationale for choosing one of:
>

> [a] one sub-interpreter with many thread states

This is the best tested and understood (it's what the core Python
interpreter does, after all).

> [b] many sub-interpreters with one thread state each
> [c] many sub-interpreters with many threas states each

These are probably somewhat broken in recent Python's, I'm afraid.
Can you try CVS?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  ARTHUR:  Yes.  It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing
           cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door