Bug on Python2.3.4 [FreeBSD]?

Uwe Mayer merkosh at hadiko.de
Sat Aug 13 05:11:52 EDT 2005

Saturday 13 August 2005 06:18 am Donn Cave wrote:

> Of course, but the question was, where do reads start?  I would
> guess the GNU C library "innovated" on this point.  But in the
> end it doesn't really matter unless Python is going to try to
> square that all up and make open() consistent across platforms.

Personally, I think Python should unify this difference across plattforms
and explicitly document the behaviour in the library reference.
But I don't know how a decision on that is going to be formed.

I will forward a request for taking this point up into the library
reference's file() function, perhaps a footnote pointing out the
end-of-file position on BSD and start-of-file on Linux.

Uwe