Any projects to provide Javascript-style client-side browser access via Python?

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 26 16:36:07 EDT 2005

On Aug 26, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Python isn't a good choice as a browser language because it doesn't
> have enough security.  Hostile scripts can take over the interpreter
> too easily.
>
> There was a Python-based browser effort called Grail which I don't
> think got very far.
>
> Personally I think there are very few good uses for complex client
> side browser scripts.  Most sites that use Javascript don't really
> need to.

My belief is that if HTML/CSS/DOM can add a few more (admittedly
difficult) features, then it will become a serious contender for
fairly complex UI programs, i.e. ones that don't access web pages--it
will be a replacement for existing UI libraries such as for Windows
or OS X, wxWindows, Qt, etc. And if that's the case, then the
security issue is irrelevant, and similarly, the need to be able to
write significant programs becomes much greater.

Ken