where does __class__ come from?

Adriaan Renting renting at astron.nl
Wed Aug 24 02:46:53 EDT 2005

You might find the chapter 3.3 (in my python 2.3.4, it's "Special Method names") in the reference manual useful, it is the only place I have found sofar that describes most of these special methods. It does however not contain __class__. I don't know where in the reference manual to find it's description, probaly in some "Special attribute names" chapter I can't find.

>>>"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> 08/23/05 11:26 pm >>>
>Where does __class__ come from, what does it mean and what else is
>being hidden?
>
>I am used to using dir(...) to figure out what I can play with.
>Clearly that does not always work... :-(

Your question has benn answered - let me just add this from the dir()-docs:

Note: Because dir() is supplied primarily as a convenience  for use at
an interactive prompt,  it tries to supply an interesting set of names
more than it tries to  supply a rigorously or consistently defined set
of names,  and its detailed behavior may change across releases.

from

http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html

Regards,

Diez