Python Light Revisted?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:21:09 EDT 2005

Steve M wrote:
> I agree with you in part and disagree in part.

[snip..]

> Now, what I do agree with is a Python that can be run from a folder
> without having to be installed on the system. That could have lots of
> benefits, if the details with pythonpath and whatever could be sorted
> out. For example I haven't upgraded to 2.4 yet because I have 20

You mean like Movable Python ? *grin* (Windoze only though I'm afraid)

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy

> different packages (e.g. SOAPpy, ZODB, whatever)  installed on WinXP,
> many of which required me selecting my 2.3 installation when I
> installed them. I have no idea what will happen to all those if I run
> the ActiveState installer for 2.4. I seem even to remember reading that
> I have to un-install 2.3 before installing 2.4. I don't want to
> re-install those 20 packages. Anyway I haven't had time to research it
> and it isn't pressing, even though I'd like to start trying decorators
> and generator expressions.

I faced similar issues - in the end it wasn't such a pain though.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/upgrading_python.shtml

Just make a list of the modules you want to keep and fetch the Python
2.4 installers before making the switch. Gives you a nice opportunity
to clean up your 'site-packages' folder.

Regards,

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python