epyDoc Questions

Jeffrey E. Forcier jforcier at strozllc.com
Thu Aug 11 15:40:36 EDT 2005

Neil Benn wrote:
>    1. I want to document the attributes (instance and also class) of a
>       class and or module, I know the tags are there - where does they
>       go (before/after theclass decleration, top of the module, if
>       someone puts in the class doc but misses out the module stuff, how
>       will epydoc know that this is meant to be class and not module
>       (although someone doing this will probably get shouted at in a
>       code review!)?

http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/fields.html

You specify different tags for class, instance and module level
attributes/variables using the respective tags @cvar, @ivar and @var. I
believe you need to put @cvar and @ivar in the class' docstring, as
follows:

## code ##
class MyClass():
"""
Stuff.

@cvar varOne: the first var
@cvar varTwo: the second var
"""
varOne = 1
varTwo = 2
[...]
## end code ##

And @var should probably be used in the module's top level docstring in
the same manner.

>    2. In the argument to the tag for raises, how can I put a link
>       through to the exception?

Not 100% sure on this one; I would imagine that Epydoc would
automatically put those links in for you? Otherwise I don't believe L{}
can be used in the field name, only in the field text/body paragraph.

>    3. How would I go about marking up the property docs so that it knows
>       what the setter and getter methods are - it links through to the
>       methods but the docs arn't in there, they are in the fifth
>       argument to the property method (I can manually do this using
>       sections but is there a tag I can use?)

Like a previous poster said, can you show us an example? I don't quite
follow this one :)

HTH,
Jeff