global interpreter lock

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sat Aug 20 18:00:57 CEST 2005

Quoth Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid>:
| Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:

|> The real problem is that the concurrency models available in currently
|> popular languages are still at the "goto" stage of language
|> development.  Better models exist, have existed for decades, and are
|> available in a variety of languages.
|
| But Python's threading system is designed to be like Java's, and
| actual Java implementations seem to support concurrent threads just fine.

I don't see a contradiction here.  "goto" is "just fine", too --
you can write excellent programs with goto.  20 years of one very
successful software engineering crusade against this feature have
made it a household word for brokenness, but most current programming
languages have more problems in that vein that pass without question.
If you want to see progress, it's important to remember that goto
was a workable, useful, powerful construct that worked fine in the
right hands - and that wasn't enough.

Anyway, to return to the subject, I believe if you follow this
subthread back you will see that it has diverged a little from
simply whether or how Python could support SMP.

Mike, care to mention an example or two of the better models you
had in mind there?

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com