Wingide is a beautiful application

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 03:46:02 CET 2005


I have been using vi/vim for a very long time and love it(now using
ion3 + vim, not even gvim on debian), but never found it blend well
with the Windows GUI.

Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Claudio Grondi enlightened us with:
> > The file I was editing was just 22 KByte large having 450 lines, so
> > you try here to explain to me, that for speed reasons Vim has to cut
> > it into pieces?
>
> Yep.
>
> > Stani SPE based on Scintilla does it right, UltraEdit does it right,
> > Wing does it right, so what, are we now on a 1 MHz computer with 128
> > KByte of memory for all the system and program files what would make
> > such approach necessary?
>
> I'm giving you the reason why syntax highlighting in VIM doesn't
> always do what you expect. I never said it wasn't a silly reason.
> Having said that, A quick Ctrl+L usually fixes this for me.
>
> >> Wrong. I have used Vim for years, and only found a few minor
> >> issues, nothing more.
> > Let us know about them, so that we know it too.
>
> Syntax highlighting is awfully slow on files with very long lines.
> That's the only thing I can think of now. And it's fixed in the
> upcoming VIM 7.
>
> > But this is what I have experienced. Are you on a *nix system?
>
> Yep.
>
> > I speak here about Microsoft Windows XP SP 2 on a 3GByte RAM
> > equipped Pentium 4 and Cream-Vim installed
>
> I use Vim and GVim, on a 1.25 GB RAM equipped AthlonXP, on Ubuntu
> Linux.
>
> > But is does not work out of the box for me with the download I have
> > mentioned and I was not able to fix it as I tried.
>
> That's probably because when you install Vim in Windows, it changes
> key settings to be more appropriate for Windows. Rip those
> Win32-compatability crap out of your .vimrc (or is it called _vimrc
> there?) so you can use all the keys everybody else can.
>
> > Yes, I see your point, but with the increasing speed of the hardware
> > and better software quality it is now possible to choose tools which
> > are easy to use and don't have a steep learning curve.
>
> True. I find Vim very easy to use, and it didn't take me long to learn
> it. It does help if you're on a platform which supplies 'vimtutor'
> along with vim, and doesn't mangle the keybindings, though.
>
> > I am used to Microsoft Windows way of designing user interfaces, so
> > I expect software running on Windows to provide what I am used to.
>
> LOL don't get me started on the Microsoft way in combination with my
> expectations...
>
> > The times where the user had to adopt to the software are over.
>
> You're very wrong there. Users have to adopt to the software, unless
> they write their own. You also have to adopt to all sort of things in
> your life, so what's the big issue with software?
>
> To give you a few examples: I live in The Netherlands, so I buy cars
> with the steering wheel on the left. I have to use that, no matter
> what I want - unless I take the effort to import a car from abroad.  I
> have to screw to the right to get a screw inside a piece of wood. I
> have to adopt to that. That's the way things work.
>
> > Now there are all preconditions available making it possible to
> > adopt the software to the user.
>
> And most users get afraid of all those options they can set and all
> those things they can tweak to get the software to adopt to their
> whishes.
>
> > What other editing tools have you already evaluated? I tried as many
> > as possible including Vim before I decided to spend money on
> > purchasing UltraEdit and inspite of the fact, that there are so many
> > new editors there, I still see no chance to replace UltraEdit with
> > any other editing tool
>
> I've tried UltraEdit, didn't like it, went back to Vim. Same with
> other editors. I don't like the way I get popups in UE when I want to
> search or replace something. I haven't tested this, but I haven't seen
> a way to re-wrap text like Vim can - even in this post it can rewrap
> your text without messing up the '>' symbols in front of it. It can
> even rewrap comments, strings etc. in source code without messing up
> indentation or marker characters.
>
> > Just evaluate yourself at least SPE and Wing and come back to tell
> > here about your experience comparing them to Vim
>
> I'll see if I can get around to it. I'm very busy atm, but I'm busy
> doing Python programming, so perhaps I can do some with the IDEs you
> mentioned.
>
> Hmm... neither are bundled with Ubuntu.
>
> SPE is already annoying because of all the new windows it opens... Not
> a good start. I remember using it before, to check out the Blender
> integration. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I'll give it another go.
>
> WingIDE is commercial software, which I'm not going to use. I'm not
> all against commercial software, but if there is a Free alternative,
> I'd rather use that.
>
> Sybren
> --
> The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
> capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
> safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
>                                              Frank Zappa




More information about the Python-list mailing list