Is there an equivalent to Java Webstart in Python?

James fphsml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:12:37 EST 2005

No! Jython does not have any of the problems you describe. Jython makes
Java byte code. Java bytecode can be deployed via Web Start. Period.
Jython can be used anywhere Java can be used. That's the whole beauty
of Jython. I am not hypothesizing. I actually did this a while ago and
it worked just fine. Why shouldn't it?

There is a released version of IronPython at
http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=ad7acff7-ab1e-4bcb-99c0-57ac5a3a9742
In fact it's being released every 2-4 weeks for quite a while now.

True, IronPython is not quite there yet, but it works for most part.
.NET 2.0 One Click Deployment should work with the generated
executable. I have not tried this myself. Both Jython and Web Start are
definitely more mature at the moment.