access to preallocated block of memory?

Greg Copeland gtcopeland at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:30:34 EST 2005

I am running python on VxWorks.  In the course of operation, a vxworks
tasks writes to a reserved area of memory.  I need access to this chunk
of memory from within python.  Initially I thought I could simply
access it as a string but a string would reallocate and copy this chunk
of memory; which is not something I can have as it would waste a huge
amount of memory.  We're talking about something like 40MB on a device
with limited RAM.  I have been looking at array.  It looks promising.
What's the best route to go here?  Ideally, I would like to simply pass
in the address of the reserved block and a length, and have the memory
accessible.

Is there some existing python object/facility I can use or will I need
to create a custom module?  Any tips, hints, or pointers would
certainly be appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg