Python packages on OS X vs Windows

Alex Martelli aleax at mail.comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 23:16:03 EST 2005

Kenneth McDonald <kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> At the moment I'm doing most of my stuff on a Mac, but I've been
> considering also getting
> a Windows laptop. One of the reasons is that I've found it very
> difficult to get certain
> Python related things running on the Mac; for example, if one wants
> to use the most
> up-to-date Python on the mac, rather than the one installed by Apple,
> things can get
> a bit hairy,

Such as, downloading
<http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/macosx/2.4/ActivePython-2
.4.2-248-macosx-powerpc.dmg>
and doubleclicking on the package it contains?  I don't see how it could
get any less hairy than that.

> and then if one wants to go PyQT/wxPy/etc, it can get
> even worse with
> trying to get all the compiling/linking to work.

I assume that's because the pre-built versions of these various packages
are built for Python 2.3.5 (the version Apple bundles with MacOSX)
rather than for ActivePython.  But one run of "python setup.py install",
while perhaps "worse" than doubleclicking on a pkg within a dmg, is
still not really "hairy".

> On the other hand, it seems like most of this stuff is just available
> as installers for PCs.
> Am I being naive to think that installation of most of this stuff
> (including getting it working)
> will be much easier in the PC world?

PyQt for Windows is not available under GPL (as it is for Mac).  If
shelling out 250 pounds (plus VAT) is "much easier" for you than doing a
little compilation, or you can't use the GPL version anyway, etc, etc,
then, maybe.

Me, I'd rather stick to the Mac...!-)

Alex