debian and python--any potential pitfalls?

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at die_spammer_die.ericsson.com
Tue Dec 20 10:17:10 EST 2005

"Brian van den Broek" <broek at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote in message
news:mailman.2288.1134971351.18701.python-list at python.org...

> The only area of computing in which I am interested and with which
> he's unfamiliar is Python. He suggested I try to find out if there are
> any potential issues with Debian stable and Python.

Only that Python is "smeared" over several different packages - idle is
packed separately f.ex.

> Not knowing much about the details of linux and less about Debian, my
> googling hasn't yielded much that settles things. I have found out
> that stable ships with 2.3.5. I imagine it should be straightforward
> to upgrade to 2.4.2.

apt-get install .... should be about it.

> Am I correct? Any other Debian/Python issues I
> should know about?

Sometimes I have had Debian Sarge fail miserably on the "install desktop"
option. The workaround is to not install the desktop in the first
configuration pass and then use apt-get intall gnome/kde/whatever.