Wingide is a beautiful application

Claudio Grondi claudio.grondi at freenet.de
Mon Dec 19 01:08:29 CET 2005


Sybren Stuvel wrote:
> Claudio Grondi enlightened us with:
> 
>>With [Strg]-[End] I went to the end of the file where I wanted to
>>continue editing, but the syntax highlighting told me there is no
>>code but only a comment. I checked it and found out, that Vim is
>>apparently not able to do proper highlighting when jumping to the
>>end of the file not going through other parts of the code before.
> 
> 
> Vim does check parts of the buffer it hasn't displayed, but it only
> goes back so much. Or would you rather have Vim check the entire
> buffer every time you change it?
> 
> 
>>Going back to the point where triple quotes comment begun (quite in
>>the middle of the file) and back to the end did the trick to get
>>proper highlighting again.
> 
> 
> Apparently you quoted so much that Vim didn't go all the way back to
> check.
> 
> 
>>Apparently Vim syntax highlighting analyses only the code it has
>>already 'seen' within the editing window. This is not what I expect
>>from a mature editor.
> 
> 
> Well, the problem is in your head, not with the editor. It uses sane
> defaults to keep things fast. If you quote such a large amount of
> text, wouldn't it be better to just store it in a text file? You could
> also use the fact that Python joins consecutive string constants and
> quote each paragraph:
> 
>     """Some text.
>     blablabla
>     """
>     """
>     Some more text blabla
>     """
> 
> It'll result in some more quotes, but when running your program it's
> the same, and VIM will be able to highlight it just fine.
The file I was editing was just 22 KByte large having 450 lines, so you 
try here to explain to me, that for speed reasons Vim has to cut it into 
pieces? Stani SPE based on Scintilla does it right, UltraEdit does it 
right, Wing does it right, so what, are we now on a 1 MHz computer with 
128 KByte of memory for all the system and program files what would make 
such approach necessary?
I want my file highlighted in a right way all the time and if it is too 
large to be highlighted I want the editor to give a warning - yes, the 
problem in my head is, that I don't accept bad and buggy software. I 
have edited enough files with the line oriented vi to know what I am 
speaking about.

> 
> 
>>I have stopped here, because I found this problem after three
>>seconds of using it, so imagine how much other problems will become
>>apparent after using it three hours, right?
> 
> 
> Wrong. I have used Vim for years, and only found a few minor issues,
> nothing more.
Let us know about them, so that we know it too.

> 
> 
>>Vim similar as Wing has no [View] menu entry one can use for
>>changing the text appearance in any reasonable Windows program, so
>>the ancient Unix/Linux is still there with the system font as
>>default setting for displaying text... It looks as I were in a DOS
>>box, not in a text editor on Windows.
> 
> 
> I can do "Edit -> Select font" just fine...
> 
> 
>>Loading a 100 MByte large file into this editor which pretends to be
>>able to edit files of any size results in an Error.
> 
> 
> Never had problems with that.
But this is what I have experienced. Are you on a *nix system?
I speak here about Microsoft Windows XP SP 2 on a 3GByte RAM equipped 
Pentium 4 and Cream-Vim installed by
http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cream/cream-0-33-1-gvim-6-3-90-1.exe 
.
>>I was not able to find how to do rectangular select/paste
> 
> Control+V to do block selects. After that, just paste.
> 
>>and there was no code folding for Python script code available.
> 
> Yes there is - I'm using it.
But is does not work out of the box for me with the download I have 
mentioned and I was not able to fix it as I tried.
> 
> 
>>It was just waste of my time to try it out again.
> 
> This is true for most things in life: If you go in with a negative
> attitude and draw the wrong conclusions, you will only find what you
> expected to find.
> 
> Sybren
Yes, I see your point, but with the increasing speed of the hardware and 
better software quality it is now possible to choose tools which are 
easy to use and don't have a steep learning curve. Best, I don't need 
any tutorial at all and can go with it directly. I am used to Microsoft 
Windows way of designing user interfaces, so I expect software running 
on Windows to provide what I am used to.
The times where the user had to adopt to the software are over. Now 
there are all preconditions available making it possible to adopt the 
software to the user.

What other editing tools have you already evaluated? I tried as many as 
possible including Vim before I decided to spend money on purchasing 
UltraEdit and inspite of the fact, that there are so many new editors 
there, I still see no chance to replace UltraEdit with any other editing 
tool and believe me, I would do it if it were possible, because I don't 
like closed source solutions. I don't like the way the menues of 
UltraEdit are designed and I have trouble to understand the text in the 
help file, because it is not strightforward from my point of view; I 
don't like, that one of the latest UltraEdit releases was buggy causing 
100%CPU load and 2MByte of harddisk data traffic beeing idle, so I am 
looking for an alternative for years, but instead of finding it I was 
forced lately to spend money again on renewing my license.

No, I don't think, that it was my negative attitude what kicked Vim out 
of beeing considered a mature editor for Python scripting purposes, at 
least on a Windows system - it were the facts I have described and the 
experience I had with other editing tools.

Just evaluate yourself at least SPE and Wing and come back to tell here 
about your experience comparing them to Vim (do not forget to get rid of 
the negative attitude first ;-).

Claudio



More information about the Python-list mailing list