- E04 - Leadership! Google, Guido van Rossum, PSF

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 12:58:33 EST 2005

Anton Vredegoor wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>I have a friend who works at Google. He has no backstabbing history at all. Stop
>>insulting my friends.
>
> Your friends work for people who would never hire me.

This is not a crime.

> My resume sucks,
> but I'm not a bad person or a mediocre programmer.

Okay. Still has nothing to do with my friend or anyone else who works at Google.
Still doesn't mean my friend has a "backstabbing history," whatever that is.

> They sold out.

<rolls eyes> No, he accepted a job. He has a family to feed. Google may or may
not be unethical, but their requirement for experienced developers is not
unethical. Just because they might not hire you doesn't mean they are unethical.
They simply have needs that you can't fill.

Your sense of entitlement is showing.

>>For Software Engineer:
>>
>>"""
>>Requirements:
>>
>>    * BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent (PhD a plus).
>
> Right here.
>
>>    * Several years of software development experience.
>>    * Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems.
>>    * Experience with Unix/Linux or Windows environments, C++ development,
>>distributed systems, machine learning, information retrieval, network
>>programming and/or developing large software systems a plus.
>>"""
>>
>>I don't see any "damaged soul" requirement.
>
> I do. Experience here is an eufemism for having worked for the man.

Who is "the man"? If Google were to hire you with no experience, would you then
have "worked for the man"?

>>>Yes PyPy could save Python, or destroy the world. I have the impression
>>>not many enough people realize that a selfhosting programming language
>>>is something on the same level as a nano assembler or an artificial
>>>intelligence.
>>
>>??? What the hell are you smoking? We already have self-hosting programming
>>languages.
>
> Yes. We have humans too.

Some Lisps are self-hosting. C is self-hosting. The world is not yet destroyed.
Do you understand what "self-hosting" means?

>>>Anton
>>>
>>>'make my day, prove me wrong'
>>
>>Prove yourself right.
>
> Ok. That's a bit harder. I suppose we agree that if we have an
> intelligent program that is more intelligent than a human and have this
> program design an even more intelligent program than things start to
> accelerate pretty fast?

PyPy will not bring about the Singularity.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter