Still Loving Python

Peter Maas peter.maas at somewhere.com
Tue Dec 13 17:58:23 EST 2005

Mike Meyer schrieb:
> I agree. I've tried a number of different gui builders. I find it much
> faster to type something like:
>
>     ui.add_button("New", self.new)
>     ui.add_button("Open", self.open)
>     ui.add_button("Save", self.save)
>     ui.add_button("Save As", self.save_as)
>
> Than have to drag four menu buttons from a pallette, then open the
> properties of each one to edit the text of the button and the callback
> entry (or whatever dance they need so you can enter the required
> text).

If you design a moderately complex UI a designer will be faster. It's
not the speed of typing vs. dragging that matters. You see the result
instantly and don't have to start your program, look, type code, start
again and so on. A GUI builder is more pleasant to work with, at least
with a good one like Delphi or Qt designer.

It's not a good idea to do everything in code. I find it tiresome to
create menus and toolbars by writing code. It's not as bad as creating
an image by typing addpixel(x,y,color) a million times but it comes
close.

Creating visual resources visually is the direct way, creating them in
code is a detour. Code is too lengthy and too versatile for such a
job.

--
Peter Maas, Aachen, Germany