remove strings from source

qwweeeit qwweeeit at yahoo.it
Sat Feb 26 09:38:04 EST 2005

For a python code I am writing I need to remove all strings
definitions from source and substitute them with a place-holder.

To make clearer:
line 45  sVar="this is the string assigned to sVar"
must be converted in:
line 45 sVar=s00001

Such substitution is recorded in a file under:
s0001[line 45]="this is the string assigned to sVar"

For curious guys:
I am trying to implement a cross variable reference tool and the
variability (in lenght) of the string definitions (expecially if
multi-line) can cause display problems.

I need your help in correctly identifying the strings (also embedding
the r'xx..' or u'yy...' as part of the string definition). The problem
is mainly on the multi-line definitions or in cached strings
(embedding chr() definitions or escape sequences).