- E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Pat pobrien at orbtech.com
Mon Feb 14 15:36:16 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> "Pat" wrote:
>
> > Okay, I think we are pretty much talking about the same thing.  My
> > problem is not that I'm unable or unwilling to purchase a good
> > compiler.  My problem is that I don't want to make it a requirement
of
> > my users.  The twist is that my users will be working out of a
> > Subversion repository that includes source code for extensions
written
> > in C.  Those extensions need to be compiled, and the code changes
too
> > frequently for me to want to deal with supplying compiled binaries.
>
> here's what I do to supply compiled binaries for 2.1 through 2.4:
>
>     > mkall
>     > upload dist
>
> > So I'm looking for options for Windows users who do not have, and
are
> > unwilling to get, a Microsoft compiler.  For some users, minGW is
an
> > attractive option.  For those who want to use minGW, I'm trying to
> > establish whether or not minGW is a viable option, particularly for
> > Python 2.4.
>
> here's what I just did (time in minutes):
>
>     +00: googled for the mingw home page
>     +00: found the mingw download page
>     +02: finally figured out what to download
>     +03: noticed that my usual SF site only offered 1K/s; aborted
download
>     +07: finished downloading the mingw kit from another SF site
>     +17: finished installing
>     +18: added \mingw\bin to the path
>     +18: typed "python setup.py install --compiler=mingw32"
>     +18: got a linker error; googled for help
>     +19: copied python24.dll to \mingw\lib
>     +20: finished building the sample library (cElementTree); all
tests pass

> so what's your excuse for not doing this? ;-)

A few things.  Primarily the fact that I'm not very experienced in C
(the extensions that I need to have compiled are not written by me).
Secondarily, the fact that the discussion threads I read made it seem
much more complicated than what you just described.  Third, the fact
that some of the code we've tried to compile didn't compile cleanly,
the way your cElementTree did (but I can't remember what exactly the
problem was and I didn't do the compiling).  And, finally, an aversion
to trial-and-error solutions.  I prefer to Google and ask questions
when I'm out of my element.

Thanks for the info.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien