Big development in the GUI realm

Luke Skywalker luke at tatooine.planet
Mon Feb 7 21:49:40 EST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:24:35 +1100, Tim Churches
<tchur at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>: NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
>: services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal use
>: of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived work".

OK, so according to Linus, the GPL allows a proprietary program to
make calls to the kernel, but TrollTech says the GPL doesn't allow a
proprietary program to make calls to the Qt library.

It's this double-standard that I find confusing, since both projects
are said to be based on the same license. I wouldn't have any problem
if Qt had built its own GPL-derived, custom license, but they claim
it's the same ol' GPL. Hence the questioning.

Luke.