new style exception handleing

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Feb 2 12:57:02 EST 2005

Ola Natvig wrote:
> Does anybody know why it's not possible to raise Exceptions which are
> types (new-style-classes). I know all standard exceptions are classic
> classes, but if you make a custom exception which both inherits from a
> exception class and a new-style one the it causes a type error when raised.
>
>  >>> class b(Exception, object): pass

This might not help you, but have you considered just making
your old-style class *contain a reference* to an instance
of whatever new-style class you want it to contain?  Then
the issue goes away.

I can't actually think of a reason to need to base an
exception on a new-style class, but perhaps you have a
good one...

-Peter